4/30/2010

While he was still speaking

One phrase that stood out to me during my recent study of Luke was “while he was still speaking”. It’s used a few times in Luke and elsewhere throughout the Bible. The phrase evokes a sense of emergency, immediacy, and intensity for me. But beyond its narrative purposes, I think it points outside the story to a God who is orchestrating events. Whenever I read that phrase I thought “Aha, God is at work here”.

I think what I find so compelling about this providential immediacy is that I recognize the motif. I can recall a few times when God has answered a prayer of mine immediately, while I was still speaking. This Biblical phrase provides a “hook”, a point of contact, a tangible confirmation that the same God who was at work in the pages of the Bible is at work in my life as well.