7/28/2009

A Prayer for Judgement

Lord God of hosts, you are truth and light. Before you falsehood is exposed and the darkness flees. Look down from your judgment seat upon the actions of the Episcopal Church. Hear how they have profaned your name by worshiping the spirit of the age, rejected your Son as the only Way, and exalted a false gospel.

Why do you stand so far off, O Lord? Stretch forth your hand and act. Consume all that the Episcopal Church has set up in opposition to you with the fire of your holiness. Save those who are responsible for apostasy, but as through fire, that their works may be burned up.

Cleanse us, O Lord, and nourish in America a pure expression of the faith of Cranmer, Herbert, and Lewis. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Amen.



As I wrote this, I had (among other passages) Ezekiel 22:13-15 in the back of my mind:
Behold, I strike my hand at the dishonest gain that you have made, and at the blood that has been in your midst. Can your courage endure, or can your hands be strong, in the days that I shall deal with you? I the LORD have spoken, and I will do it. I will scatter you among the nations and disperse you through the countries, and I will consume your uncleanness out of you. (emphasis mine)
The message that stands out to me is that the fire of sanctification and the fire of judgment are the same thing. It burns up everything that rebels against God. When that fire comes, you had better be sure there will be something left.