3/07/2007

Our Place in the Anglican Communion: The Community We Share

Blessed Sacrament is an incredibly special place. I don't think I quite realized how much our community means to the older members of our parish. But after the first meeting of our discernment committee, I have a better idea.

Many have been Episcopalean all of their lives, and have been forced to move from parish to parish several times as they became increasingly liberal. Blessed Sacrament is not just a home for them - it is a refuge that has taken many years to find.

As for myself, Blessed Sacrament is the best place I can imagine for raising a young family. I suspect there are few other places that are so welcoming and supportive of us. It is an oasis of life in a culture of death.

In addition to our love of the community we have found, everyone on the committee loves the Church and the apostolic faith that has been handed down to us. I don't know what will happen, but I have to believe that we are going to be ok. As Jessica told me last week, "my prayer is that, at the end of all this, we end up together and still in the Anglican communion". Amen.