10/06/2004

Queen of the Sciences update

In case any of you were wondering exactly how I would go about doing graduate work in computer science in submission to the Queen of the Sciences... I'm not quite sure either. It seems a little easier to see the theological elements of biology, physics, math, etc. - because God directly created those things. Computer Science, on the other hand, was thought up by men. It's one thing to be in awe of the complexity of protein synthesis... it's quite another to be in awe of an elegant algorithm. I think. Because in one case, I'm seeing the hand of God. In another, I'm seeing the intelligence of a particular person.

But maybe it's possible to let the intelligence of a particular person direct you past the person to the creator and source of intelligence? It seems to me (though I may be confused) that music is in somewhate of the same situation here. God created notes, but man creates music. And yet Emily doesn't have any trouble seeing God in the musical genius of a particular person (well, probably the beauty created by that genius) This is even true of beautiful music written by non-Christians. If all truth is God's truth, it may also be that all beauty is God's beauty, and all elegant algorithms are God's elegant algorithms.

The next book on my to-read list is Things a Computer Scientist Rarely Talks About, by Donald Knuth. Knuth is sometimes called the father of computer science - he was extremely instrumental in its development - and is also a Christian. Things a Computer Scientist Rarely Talks About is his discussion of the interaction between his faith and his work in computer science. So, if I get any great ideas from Knuth regarding the integration of Christianity and computer science, I'll be sure to post them here.

No comments: